Father Michael C. Kidd Council #14455 (Knights of Columbus)
Chartered on February 2008, the Parish-based Father Michael C. Kidd Council is associated with Holy Family Catholic Church in Mitchellville, MD. Working in close accord with the Parish and her mission, the Council has been recognized by the MD State Council year after year for its strength in the service areas emphasized by the Knights of Columbus. Revised from six to four, they are FAITH, FAMILY, LIFE and COMMUNITY. Throughout, we are a fraternal organization of Catholic men that stresses responsibility and service. We seek to live our faith as Catholic gentlemen. Our collaboration with the Parish in charity work for the needy and the oppressed is well known. The local community is made all the richer because of the Council’s strong moral presence and social responsibility. We host a multitude of activities throughout the year.
Holy Family Commandery #115 / Ladies Auxiliary #16 (Knights of St. John, International)
Holy Family Commandery No. 115 of the Knights of St. John International was chartered in September 1905 at Holy Family Catholic Church in Woodmore, MD. The Knights have contributed numerous services to the parish over the years. Although replaced in 1990, our men built and cared for the first Parish hall which stood from 1889 to 1984. The building immediately behind the Parish church, the gray building of St. John’s Hall was constructed by our Knights and employed as a classroom. It is now used for storage. Our Knights assisted with the repair of walkways, helped to keep the grounds and cemetery presentable and donated toward the construction of the current Parish hall. Until just a few years ago, we generated income and nurtured fellowship through annual gospel music shows. Today, many of our number are advanced in years and we want to instigate a new beginning with the recruitment of young men who are willing to be of service to God and to the community.
Holy Family Woodmore Ladies Auxiliary, Subordinate No. 16, Knights of St. John International was chartered on May 24, 1906. The charter was signed by Supreme President Louise Zancy and approved by the Supreme President John Williams, who also held the title of Knights of St. John. Ms. Johanna White served as the Supreme Secretary. With Father M. J. Seanlow as the Spiritual Director, the charter served surrounding communities. The Ladies Auxiliary was incorporated internationally in 1996. Members of area Auxiliaries helped to plan living quarters in a room over the sacristy for the first Pastor of Holy Family, Father John Albert SSJ. The church had no rectory. Members also helped plan and work at picnics and Oktoberfests to raise money for the church’s needs. Members included: Mamie Williams, Nancy Fletcher and Sadie Wright. Members were also involved in providing shoes and clothing for the needy children living on farms whose parents were sharecroppers in the area. Bessie Queen, Auxiliary No. 16, Agnes Washington, Auxiliary No. 109 and Lena Jones, Auxiliary No. 16, helped select the first electric light fixtures in the church. They replaced oil wall lamps with reflectors. Auxiliary members visited members of the county government to request provisions for safe drinking water for Lincoln Elementary School. The late Sister Veronica A. Fletcher used her home for years as storage for supplies to be issued to the needy. Additional good deeds performed by members of the Ladies Auxiliary No. 16 included, but were not limited to: sponsoring Masses, holding retreats, preparing breakfast for the elderly, hosting bake sales, painting the hall, donating flowers for the altar, pledging for the brick drive and donating food baskets for the needy. Currently, we run a Haitian Coffee fundraiser. Like the Knights, we also want to encourage new blood so that our long legacy of faith and service will continue into the future.
The Ladies of Holy Family Mitchellville (Auxiliary to Fr. Kidd Council)
The election of Auxiliary Officers was held on Monday, August 17, 2015. The charter officers were Judy Cardano (President), Geneva Murry (VP), Ngozi Ikeji (Secretary) and Monette-Roxas-Tharp (Treasurer). The women decided to call themselves THE LADIES OF HOLY FAMILY MITCHELLVILLE. The Ladies of Holy Family Mitchellville is active in a variety of social, service-related and charitable activities. We give members the opportunity to become involved in both the Parish and in the surrounding community. Auxiliaries that have worked in concert with Councils have historically been interested in helping physically and mentally handicapped children, unwed mothers, the disenfranchised and the needy. They are also known for their opposition to abortion and pornography. We give Auxiliary support to the Knights and have our own good works to maintain with either volunteers or proceeds from fundraisers. Here are some of our past activities: a Baby Shower, Fundraiser for House of Ruth, Dinner Fundraiser for Special Olympics, Christmas Party, Lenten Pancake Supper, Dinner Dance, Assisting with Knights of Columbus Activities, etc.